My sweet well-meaning husband “fed” the kids last night. Enter in the kids this morning.
Mommy, can I have some peanuts??
Translation – “I’m hungry!!”
There goes my fifteen minutes of morning solitude:-) Gotta go feed my babies!
I open the fridge and organic ground pork and leftover pie dough give me a wink. Ah Hah! Sausage and pop tarts it is!
Sweet & Spicy Breakfast Sausage
Makes 8 sausage patties
*I try to use organic, eco-ganic or responsibly farmed ingredients as much as possible
- 1 lb. organic ground pork
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp dried ground thyme (feel free to use dried thyme leaves as well)
- 1/4 tsp dried sage
- 1/4 tsp dried ground fennel (fennel seeds would be lovely too, freshly crushed to release the oils and lightly toasted in a pan)
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (or freshly grated)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar (light or dark is fine)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- In a medium sized bowl, thoroughly combine all ingredients making sure that there are no pockets of spices.
- Roll into 2 ounce balls and flatten into rounds about 1/4 inch thick.
- Heat frying pan over medium high heat and cook the sausages until brown to your liking and fully cooked through. (mine took 8 minutes, but yours will depend on your stove)
- Drain on paper towels and serve.
I like to use my hands to combine the ingredients. If you don’t like to touch raw meat, you can wear gloves or use a utensil.